Tuesday 14 June 2011

Echoes of childhood ...............

I wish to fill this blog talking about my two lovely sisters........Poornima and Priyanka.
Poornima is my best cheer leader, an essential advisor, a party to my mischief, my pillar of strength and a one woman audience to my idle chit chat. The feeling I guess is mutual. We have always been there for each other.
I still remember the day Pappa came to pick us up from the school and told us that we now have a brand new sister [ Priyanka], and how we had clamoured to see her. And the sight that greeted me in the hospital will always be etched in my memory.Ruddy faced, with clenched fists, eyes shut tightly, ready to lapse into one of her crying bouts, as if angry to be brought in this world ! This was a toy to be coveted and protected. I used to sit by her bedside, before Poornima could come, sacrificing my precious playtime in the fear that some one could whisk her away while I was not around.

We three are spaced with 4 years of difference between me and Poornima and 11 years with Priyanka.
Things werent always this picture perfect. Initially me and Poorni had our minor squabbles, but Amma quietly, but very efficiently smoothened out the rough corners.
Growing up was fun- sharing chocolates, clothes, jokes ,secrets-not realising how close it brought us. I was and probably still am, the first person my sisters turn to.

Many years ago when Priyanka was still a little girl Amma asked her as to who her ideal was. She gave her, one of her incredulous looks before answering " why, Prathima akka , ofcourse", as if it was so obvious and a totally unnecessary question.  Trying to live up to those standards has not always been easy, but with time she will realise that I am not perfection personfied, as what she thinks now.

Priyanka has always been the baby of our house, but there are a lot of lessons she has taught me too; she doesnt realise now how inspiring she sometimes can be. Not only do I gain srenghth from her unquestionable faith in me, but her quiet courage and a never- say- die attitude helps me to get up and get going whenever I falter. She is a person of very few words ,but with a keen power of observation, and is a careful critic with darting comments that always seem to hit the mark!

When I left home after marriage, every little thing that reminded me of them would bring me to the verge of tears. Its hard to adjust to meagre phone calls or an occasssional visit, when you are used to being around them on a 24 hour basis.
The voices of our childhood echo in the background and we threesome are looking forward to making more such memories.

Remembering them!

2 comments:

  1. Reading this made me nostaligic, I only thought about the times spent with my sister and the way we bonded with our brothers..! Nice peice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice one there Prathima. Loved it. You have a beautiful gift to express your feelings, your thoughts into words.Please dont let that go to waste. Its a gift not many are blessed with you know.:)

    From one friend to another.

    ReplyDelete