Thursday 2 June 2011

Me, And My Talking Tree..........

I have always been fascinated by trees. Even as we zoomed in pappa's Fiat when we were small ,I would  streach my neck up and watch the tree tops passing by. They seemed to be happy , like me ,waving at me.

Thinking back , I try to recollect the origin of this passion. One day ajji while telling us the story of a princess who was married to the tree mentioned that even trees and animals would talk to us in ancient times.[ but didnt answer why they stopped].She later told us trees would still talk to each other when all of the world goes to sleep. Fascinated, me and my cousin [Radhika,do you remember?] woke up till midnight without the elders knowledge and quietly slipped into ajji's backyard. LO ! YES, there were some noices, strange hustling sound.We slipped back to bed immediately scared, very scared to tell anybody about our nocturnal adventures.I continued to believe in ajji's story even after so many years.[ for some strange reason I havent shared this story with my children, doubtful whether they can relate to this]

Life went on and this incident faded in my memory. Much later in my college days I took a liking to paint. Its easier to paint than to draw.So I began painting. And how strange it is that I found myself painting trees! Only trees! huge trees,small trees, tall trees and skewed trees,ugly monster looking trees,trees looking so delicate like a new bride........They seem to have come to me from my memory of 'ajji mane'[ granny's house].

I so distinctly remember the trees everywhere, the road lined wth trees,the trees in our grandfather's compound,the neem tree just outside the room in which we slept.I remember waking upto the sounds of sparrows chirping in it. The sunlight playing with the trees and creating several bizzare images on the bare wall.

While walking in the park one evening I sat all alone on the bench and looked up at the tree much to the amusement of my fellow walkers.Many might have concluded i have a severly challenged faculty up above. But I come home each day a changed person. Who knows ajji might be true after all.Trees do talk to us.Only thing is you must sit and listen.
 

1 comment:

  1. Certain things in life never ceases to fascinate us. Keep writing in!! :)

    ReplyDelete